A dominating squad in the world of soccer, the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team (USWNT) has won multiple World Cups, Olympic Gold Medals, and showcased the talents of soccer legends like Mia Hamm, Michelle Akers and Abby Wambach. Thus, it comes as no surprise that the current team roster boasts both great experienced, and new talent.
Take a look at these motivational quotes from 5 USWNT members, and inspirational women in sports.
1. Carli Lloyd was the standout player of the 2015 World Cup, which the USWNT won. Bustle has the current Houston Dash player and national team co-captain’s thoughts, on the importance of mental preparation for success, shared below:
“I visualized playing in a World Cup final and scoring four goals. It sounds pretty funny, but that’s what it’s all about. At the end of the day, you can be physically strong, you can have all the tools out there, but if your mental state isn’t good enough, you can’t bring yourself to bigger and better things.”
2. A forward on the Orlando Pride during the regular NWSL season, Alex Morgan maintains perspective on failure via Health:
“Failing a couple of times does not mean you are a failure.”
3. Fellow USWNT co-captain and Kansas City player, Becky Sauerbrunn recommends seizing the moment via Cosmopolitan:
“The past doesn’t matter. Take today.”
4. Part of the Seattle Reign in addition to the national team, Megan Rapinoe spoke to ESPN about being an underdog physically and winning:
“I’ve had to find different ways to beat people who are bigger and stronger than me. I was always a lot smaller growing up. I still feel that same way today. I’ve always focused on my game mentally as my advantage over other people. I want to get into little spaces and have my movement beat them, or have my touches be smoke and mirrors.”
5. According to Cosmopolitan, Washington Spirit captain Ali Krieger said:
“Surround yourself with good people, surround yourself with positivity and people who are going to challenge you to make you better. If you just kind of let yourself stay alone and be by yourself, the negative, it is just not going to help you. You can control two things, your work ethic and your attitude about anything.”
by Mariela S.M.
Image from news.discovery.com